Feb 15, 2011

2x12 Silly Love Songs / here I go again... I LOVE GLEE!


This week Last week it was all about one word. Mind sharing it with us, Brittany? "Love! ...I'm totally gonna graduate now!" Indeed. Love is all around. And there's only one way to look at the plot twists of the episode.

Lauren/Puck: Yes! I wanted a romance and I got a romance. As far-fetched as a relationship between a badass gigolo and a grumpy, overweight wrestler girl might sound, it works and it's fun to watch and it doesn't seem silly at all! As Puck so wisely stated, you don't choose love, love chooses you. She doesn't take his attention like you'd expect her to take, but she turns him down over and over again and practically makes him beg. They are two awesome badasses and I'm all in for this pairing!

Finn/Quinn: And the award for being the biggest douche goes to... Finn Hudson! Congratulations and shame on you, boy! Winning the championship clearly went straight to his head and smug doesn't look good on him. He's never been the sharpest pencil in the... pencil case, but he was never a douche before. At the same time, I have to admit, I like looking at this new side of him. He also gets another award for being the biggest hypocrite: leaving Rachel for cheating and proceeding to woo another man's woman. And Quinn is wooed easily. Enjoy your mono, you lousy cheaters.


Quinn/Sam: I actually feel a bit bad for Sam. Who knew. Maybe there is something to that character after all.

Finn/Rachel: So is it really over now, for good? No, I've never been the biggest Finchel person, but they always were kind of the core relationship of the show, like Marissa and Ryan, and Meredith and Dr McDreamy, and Ridge and Brooke or whatever the other woman he is married to often is called. And if Finn never saw fireworks when he kissed Rachel, does that mean he never really loved her? Hmm. A surprising turn of events, but honestly, I don't mind too much. It seemed like a final parting of the ways, but well, they might still crawl back to each other eventually.

Tina/Mike & Brittany/Artie: All is well. For now.


Kurt/Blaine: The Kiss is still waiting to happen. Ooh, they sure like to torture us. No, but seriously, I quite like the way they're handling this. It didn't look too good at first: Blaine confession that he is in love with someone and then knowing Kurt's coffee order and whoom, there goes poor Kurtie, sinking ever deeper into his pink daydreams... The heartbreak was bound to hit eventually. It did, and when Blaine announced that he's in love with junior manager of Gap, the look on Kurt's face broke some extra hearts, as well.

And then, Kurt showed that he's done some serious growing up since the Finn Thing last season: he didn't try to sabotage anything, quite the opposite, gritting his teeth he encouraged Blaine to go for it. Luckily the Jeremiah guy was a bit of a douche with a good hair, and didn't appreciate Blaine's serenade (nor the fact that it got him fired). I loved the look on Kurt's face, trying hide his satisfaction under a fake look of sympathy.

And Blaine, aw, I liked him more now than even before. He's no longer Mr Perfect; turns out his just as clueless as the rest of us. Before he was sort of a guide, an adviser for Kurt, always doing and saying the right thing, but now they seem more equal. And even though they decided take it extremely slow, careful not to harm their friendship, there was the mention of When Harry Met Sally. And yes, Blaine, they do get together in the end. I just hope it doesn't take that long for Kurt and Blaine.


Santana: Ms Lopez deserves a place among the couples, even though she was left without a pair in the episode, because she rocked! Just rocked. Hard. She might be the ultimate bitch, but still, who wouldn't like the character? Like she said herself, she "keeps it real and is hilarious". Santana was definitely behind the best oneliners in Silly Love Songs. To mention a few: "I've kissed Finn. And can I just say, not worth a buck" & "You're addicted to vests" & "I've had mono so many times it turned into stereo." Haha. The voiceover was brilliant and I'm not even getting started with the EPIC Santana/Lauren cat fight. But this is how much I'll say: it was freaking EPIC.

And, behind all the bitchy remarks and evil revenge schemes, there is a heart with feelings in there somwhere. Just the very uncharacteristic breakdown in the hallway (after Rachel points out that the only job she'll ever have is on a pole) proves that. The poor girl is just a bit lonely.


Let's look at the musical numbers then! Fat Bottomed Girls was so extremely rude and offensive... and yet somehow pretty hot. I guess that's just Puck for you. I loved the reactions of Santana, Rachel and Mercedes when they realise who he's singing to. And Lauren, she's just awesome. With that shy expression she had on her face while he was singing one expected her to jump him and kiss him senseless afterwards, but nah. "That was the first time anyone ever sang me a love song. And it made me feel like crap." Go, Lauren.

P.Y.T didn't blow me away, but it was nice enough. Anything with Mike's dance moves is a big plus. And Artie and Brittany are just adorable: "That's my man and his legs don't work!"

My favourite number of the episode had to be When I Get You Alone. First, the setting was a nice change to the endless performances in the auditorium and the choir room. They should get out more often! Second, Kurt's reactions were quite delicious. Cuddling that headless mannequin and all that. Aww. And third, Darren just rocked it. Very groovy.

Firework is a pretty lousy song. But Lea did a good job with it. The song sort of marked the end of the Finchel era and the beginning of the next one, when Rachel will hopefully concentrate on becoming a star. There's no longer a Finn hanging around her neck, dragging her down. Now there's just a star, reminding her of her lifelong dream. It's quite poetic, really. (Still, no more Katy Perry, please. Teenage Dream can't be topped.)

Silly Love Songs... AWW! Total sweetness. A few comments: 1) Blaine thinks love will never come to Santana. She's not too happy about it. 2) Kurt loves Mercedes and Rachel. Aww. 3) Blaine totally sang that one "I love you" directly to Kurt. Double aww.


Rest of my random thoughts:

- The Warblers can be pretty amusing. That "You mock us, sir!" line nearly made me fall off my chair.
- The girls' (and Kurt's) night in was adorable. Kurt, Rachel and Mercedes are like totally BFF's.
- It's fun to see the ex-Cheerios out of their uniforms, dressed in normal clothes.
- Sam: "I'm pretty but I ain't dumb." Haha.
- Mike described himself as "the quiet skinny Asian kid". Adorable.
- There was something very funny about Finn's delivery of the line "Pervert", after Sam said he wants to see him kiss Quinn.
- "If he and I got married, Gap woul give me 50% discount." That was Blaine's gayest line ever.
- "No one here knows I'm gay." "Can I be honest? Just with the hair, I think they do."
- Lauren: "I don't think you're ready for this jelly."
- Puck has never been in a library before.
- Tina's weepy My Funny Valnetine was so awkward, but was saved by "I'm so overcome with love! I love you, Mike Chang!"
- Quinn: "I've cheated twice in my life. First time I got pregnant. Second time I got mono. I think the universe is trying to tell me something."
- The brief exchange of looks between Sam and Santana... Hmm?


Next week This week Sam goes all Justin Bieber and Sue joins Glee club. This you don't want to miss. Just because you want to make sure it won't be as bad as it sounds.

2 comments:

Reta said...

AA! NOO! Spoiler!
Yritän aina katsoa uusimmat jaksot tietämättä niistä mitään, mutta nyt tuli paljastus Justin Bieberistä ja muusta D:
Mutta juu, olen samaa mieltä noista kaikista asioista, on ollut jo ikävä Kurtin loistavia kommentteja.

Eeva said...

Auu, voi ei, anteeksi! Pitää vastaisuudessa piilottaa tuo osio.