May 18, 2011

2x18 Born This Way / embrace your flaws and wear a cool t-shirt!


Finn accidentally breaks Rachel's nose at dance practice and she takes the chance to consider getting a nose job. Santana plots her evil schemes again: she blackmails Karofsky to get Kurt return to McKinley and thus become a hero, and maybe a prom queen, and make Brittany want her. Lauren decides to join the prom queen race, so she digs up some dirt on her biggest opponent, Quinn. Emma struggles to accept the seriousness of her OCD.

Basically everyone is dealing with their insecurities and learning to love those flaws they were born with. Isn't that what Glee has always been about, really? It felt good to return to the very core of the show and this was my favourite episode in I don't know how long time. This is Glee at its very best: feel-good, funny, yet right amount of sad, great character development, great music and a great message conveyed in a great way. More of this, please!

Rachel's nose job storyline was a bit funny and a bit tragic. The poor girl just keeps comparing herself to Quinn, and now I guess she feels that making herself look more like Quinn might want to make Finn want her again? There were some really nice scenes between Quinn and Rachel, and that nice moment when the club is trying to talk Rachel out of the idea and Finn says: "Don't do this, Rachel. You're beautiful." I truly like Finchel more when they're not together!


Quinn also has some drama of her own. Thanks to the surprising cruelty of Lauren, McKinley finds out about the shady past of their number one prom queen candidate: Quinn was once called Lucy, and she was a chubby, lonely girl with a brown hair, glasses, acne and a bad nose. I think this twist was pretty awesome for the character. It know makes more sense how the ultimate high school cliche is so very important to her. This might even make me like her!

Santana brought the house down again, not surprisingly. She catches Karofsky glancing at Sam's behind and counts two and two together. Their conversation in the cafe was an awesome scene, the two are both such awesome actors. She confesses to him that they play for the same team, and the look on his face is wondeful; almost relieved, happy that he's not the only one in that particular situation. They end up making a deal: she won't let anyone know about his little secret, if he appologises to Kurt, and they'll from now on act as each other's beards. Towards the end there is also a nice Britanna moment, when Brittany asks Santana wear the "Lebanese" shirt, but she doesn't have the guts.


The Dave saga goes on as he first apologizes in front of the Glee club and swears he's sorry and changed. Even though they were all Santana's words, it was a nice moment and maybe not even completely insincere. Then they have a sit-down with Dave, Kurt, Burt, Will, Figgins and Dr. Arnzt Dave's dad, discussing whether it's OK for Kurt to return to the school. Kurt asks to have a moment alone with "David" (I loved that he called him that), and just directly asks him what his angle is. Dave decides to be honest with him. I thought it was wonderful how they handled it in such a mature way! Kurt clearly wasn't afraid of Dave anymore and Dave's hostile attitudes where hardly there to be seen. There was almost like some level of mutual respect! Awesome! They're handling this storyline so well, I'm so happy! I was expecting even more development in the episode, but knowing now that there will be some more very soon, I forgive them.

So, Kurt's back then! About time, I might add. It feels wonderful to have him back in the choir room and spicing up the group numbers. And the outfits! God how I've missed the insides of his wardrope. That Warbler uniform never suited him. That outfit he was wearing in the Barbra Streisand scene made me very very happy! I might even get over the fact that I have to say goodbye to the Warblers now. Sniff. I'll miss those boys, especially the chubby one and blond one who always does awesome dance moves. You will be remembered.

It was nice to have a proper Emma storyline for a change! The therapy session was one of the best and most poignant Emma moments ever! And the actress playing the tharapist was brilliant.


Music:

I Feel Pretty/Unpretty was brilliant. One of my favourite duets at the moment. Who knew! I mean, it's sung by two characters that have never been even close to the top of my most favourite list, Rachel's voice is suffering from inflation and Quinn's almost always annoys me. But no, this is brilliant! It fits perfectly well in the context and the mash-up works flawlessly and the two girls sound great together. And of couse, as the episode goes on and we learn about Quinn's past, this number becomes even more meaninful. Great, great, great.

I've Gotta Be Me felt a bit irrelevant, as Finn really didn't have his own storyline in the episode. But hey, it was fun! I even applauded at the end! Finn's dancing is always a joy to watch, haha. ("But I'm getting better, right?" "...") P.S. Don't kill me for this but I'm getting a bit sick of Mike Chang. I don't know why. Even his dancing isn't so cool to me anymore. What a shame!

I knew I would love Somewhere Only We Know. I mean, I've always liked the song and it was performed by Blaine to Kurt, so of course I loved it, duh. It's lovely. Lovelylovelylovely. I've been listening to it almost too much. And I love the random piano in the school yard. I didn't like the look Blaine gave to Kurt just before leaving, because it reminded me too much of one of those infamous "last looks". But then I remembered Kurt's line ("I'm never saying goodbye to you") and breathed normally again. Nobody's going nowhere, never. I just used a triple negative. My teachers would be proud.

As If We Never Said Goodbye was beautiful. It was perfect for Kurt's character, perfect for the moment, perfect for Chris's voice. It was cool that they didn't cut the song at all. That that might have been the longest solo performance in Glee ever, or so I'd imagine. And I don't mind.

Barbra Streisand was fun. Yes, I could've lived without it. But Kurt's dancing did imporove my quality of life a little.

Born This Way was awesome! AWESOME! One of my favourite group numbers in a long time! I'm kind of addicted to it. The t-shirts were genius (Brittany's (I'M WITH STOOPID pointing up), Puck's (I'M WITH STUPID pointing down), Kurt's (LIKES BOYS), Sam's (TROUTY MOUTH) and Quinn's (LUCY CABOUSEY) were some of my favourites). The song is like made for Glee, and I think their interpretation of it brings the point across much better than Gaga's original video. And by the way, this number just makes Kurt's storyline in Sexy even more stupid. Because, can I just say, Kurt was pretty freaking hot in the number and those awkward 'sexy faces' are only a bad, distant memory. I think we could just pretend that whole episode never happened. Oh man, isn't he just smokin'!


Rest of my thoughts:

- Sam's Sean Connery imitation! Ah! Oh Sam, never let the dork inside you die.
- Santana's "I've gotta gay. Go." Haha.
- Quinn's Carrie reference was cool! I'm impressed that the girl knows her horror classics. Luckily the prom ends up being quite pig-blood-less.
- Dave about the glance at Sam's ass: "I was just checking what jeans he was wearing." Santana: "Like that's any less gay." Hurray, girl.
- A truly character-defining line by Santana: "Only straight I am is straight-up bitch."
-  Tina wants to be an Asian sex symbol to look up to because there are none. Yay, go girl.
- When Puck pretended to barf when Santana said she and Dave are in love now. That was hilarious.
- Kurt talking about Lady McBeth and Eve Harrington and when Dave looks confused: "OK, if you're gonna be gay you simply must know who that is." Haha.
- I didn't like that Kurt's first line after returning to McKinley was: "Let's get ready for Nationals!" Ugh. Like that's the reason he came back for. Not cool.
- The looks on Santana and Dave's faces in the end. Loved them.


Next... I'll try to catch up. I'm so falling behind with these posts. Argh! Slow down, Glee! Or slow down, life...

2 comments:

Reta said...

I've always thought Kurt is cute, but after watching Born This Way performance, I chanced my mind. He's not cute, he's freaking hot!

Maybe Kurt is hot when he doesn't think about it, and when he is, he's just doing weird faces...

Triple negative! Yayy!

Eeva said...

Hear hear! I don't know what it is but I'm just glad the naturally sexy Kurt is back!

Nobody don't use no triple negative, never! And that was a quadruple negavite, actually.